Sunday, September 04, 2011

Irish Coddle Recipe

We ate this dish while in Ireland and I tried to replicate it at home. I think mine tastes better than what we had in Ireland. This is definitely comfort food and perfect for a rainy, cool fall day but do not eat if you are on a diet. Ha!

I didn't measure anything so you'll have to go by looks. I used enough potatoes so my Dutch oven was full when everything was added and I had a good mixture of the other ingredients.

Irish Coddle
Cook 1/2lb. bacon. Drain pan of all but a little grease then brown 2 large onions chopped in large pieces and 2 cloves garlic sliced thin. Remove to a bowl.

Take 6 sausages (I found Irish Garlic sausage that worked great but mild Italian would also work) and brown in same pan. Remove from pan and slice into large pieces (1/2 inch?).

While sausages are browning, slice up 6-9 potatoes in thick slices. (I did it with skins on but you can peel if you want.) Also slice up 3-4 large carrots.

In an oven safe Dutch oven (I used a cast iron one I take camping), spray with cooking spray then layer half sliced potatoes, carrots, onion/garlic mixture, and meats then add second half. Pour a container of vegetable stock over (about 2 cans). Add lid and cook for a few hours (2-3) on 325 degrees. Once cooked I added some fresh ground pepper, to taste, and chopped fresh parsley. Serve in bowls!

No comments: