Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Car schooling...or otherwise entitled Supermom! Ha!

Butterfly exibit this weekend at festival.
A day in the life....

Today was just one of those days. I was up early 5:30am and couldn't fall back to sleep after Ritch left at 6am so decided to get an early start. I made sandwiches and packed the boys lunch, gave the dog an oatmeal bath (she has been suffering from allergies that steriods keep just under control and the bath helps cool down her skin when she looks red), then checked email while waiting for the boys to get up.

Newt got up and off to school then Dylan. Newt sent me a text message from school saying that his friend was not going to make it to "core" (wrestling workout) so I would have to take him. Ugh!  Haley got up after sleeping in a bit until 8am and I gave her breakfast then jumped into the shower. Haley got in as I got out and we both dressed then headed out the door for my yearly gyn appt. (lovely) She read "Peter Pan" on the way and while in the office.

From there we got gas, stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things for the boys' lunches for the rest of the week, then headed home. I unloaded the groceries and started some beef browning for chili while Haley started playing scales. She brought her music stand in the kitchen so I could watch/listen to scales, Kreutzer exercises, and fiddle practice while I finished putting the chili together in the crock pot.

By the time I finished cleaning up the kitchen and packed a bag of schoolwork for later, Haley had finished those parts of her violin practice and put on a Liz Carrol CD to dance around the kitchen for 10 minutes before I logged her onto PLATO so she could finish up the week's Earth Science lesson and tests.

She finished about an hour later and I gave her a quick lunch before we headed out the door again for her practice with Madi (the young violinist/Juilliard grad) who works with Haley once a week, usually on orchestra material but at this time with no orchestra material to learn, just supplements her regular lessons. Haley likes working with her and I like that she always reinforces the same things Haley's regular teacher is having her work on but sometimes approaches it in a slightly different way.

We went straight from practice to pick Newt up after school and take him to "core." Haley and I waited in the car and did her math, Wordly Wise, and read two chapters in Story of US (Book 3) which Haley outlined and made a timeline for the French and Indian War to put in her history notebook.

Newt finished up, we drove home, ate some chili for dinner, then 30 min. later were back out the door for Dylan's football practice. Haley and I took her violin to a quiet spot out of the way and she practiced for another hour (mostly classical pieces but also a bit of fun fiddling) then she sat and drew while I watched the last half of Dylan's practice. As it got darker, we watched 3 bats flying around the field eating insects. Haley and I talked about bats and she looked up some images of bats when we got home because she was very interested in what they really look like up close.

Once home, I cleaned up the kitchen, ate some of the fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil, and balsamic vinegar Ritch had put together, cleaned up the kitchen, then made pina coladas (virgin, of course) for everyone...I have been craving them.

I helped Dylan finish him homework, typed up this blog post, and am off to stretch the boys because they are trying to become more flexible and what better way than to have your physical terrorist...oops! I mean therapist mother stretch you every night. After that it is off to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more relaxed.

No comments: