Thursday, September 25, 2008

Decisions, decisions...

Tuesday we drove into the city to visit the violin maker. Haley has outgrown her 1/10th and is now ready for a 1/8 size instrument.

Generally, when we get a new violin, he gives us two to chose from and we take them to her teacher to help us decide then return the one we don't want. Tuesday we showed up and there were four violins sitting on the counter. My first response was "Are those all for me?"

So, we take them all home. I tune them all up then start handing them one by one to Haley to play on a bit. I didn't look at which was which because I wanted to be completely unbiased and see if I heard a difference. The violins ranged in price from $500 to $700.

Haley played each (all in tune without needing any time for adjustment to the larger size BTW)and kept returning to one particular one...a beautiful deep dark reddish brown instrument with a deeper, richer sound than the others. Of course, it was the most expensive one.

She has been practicing on it this week. We'll have to see which one her teacher says is best.

No comments: