Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Our cover is blown...

Today we had a really good Suzuki lesson. Haley was practicing fiddle in the car all the way there and we were running late because of traffic so she walked to the door carrying her violin. The little boy from group was walking out having just finished his lesson and his dad seemed amazed that Haley would be playing in the car (she does all the time which is one advantage to playing a very small violin). Gerry made a joke about how much quicker she would be if everyone showed up with their violins ready to go. Haley went to the bathroom and Gerry mentioned how she has noticed Haley has been practicing a lot and really loves her violin right now.

While Gerry was teaching her a technical point on one song she said it was a precurser to the first song of Book 3 then asked Haley, "You don't know Book 3, do you?" Haley started playing the first song. Gerry laughed at her and said, "Well, I hope you're not playing Book 4." Haley said, "Like this song..." and proceeded to play the last song of Book 4. Gerry seemed really shocked and she likened it to the day she accidentally gave her son her daughter's math test (who was 2 years ahead in math) and he aced it. She said she knew he was smart but suddenly it was like a different level had been reached.

I didn't tell her that Haley has been working on playing those songs for a year. She was too shocked and I didn't want to add to it. I had been trying to keep her from knowing because I don't want her to think I am trying to teach them to Haley ahead of schedule because I am not. I just let her listen to them now and then for a change of music. She laughingly told Haley not to practice Books 3 and 4 and I smiled and said, "What do you think she is playing when she is in the car?" That's usually why she plays in the car...she is listening to a CD in the car then asks me to get her violin for her...not easy to do while driving.

No comments: